A Letter to Residents, Families and Caregivers
August 21, 2020
Dear Residents, Families and Caregivers,
The Jewish Home of Eastern Pennsylvania is keeping our residents safe as we continue the transition to the new normal. As always, we at the Jewish Home of Eastern Pennsylvania thank you for entrusting us with caring for your loved ones. We strive daily to provide the very best in care.
We are happy to report that our patio visits are a real success. We were thrilled to have 36 residents participating with families and friends this week. We had nice weather on many days and that enhanced the outside visit. Our first-floor main dining room locations worked out very well as our alternate inclement weather location. Please be prepared for a call at the last minute if we have to make a switch.
We added a list of questions that you will be asked when you arrive for a visit as well as specific details on visits to our website. If you are scheduling a visit, please be sure that you plan ahead for 14 days before by consistently avoiding high-risk activities linked to the spread of COVID-19. These include traveling internationally or to any designated high-risk states, and being in groups of 10 or more people without masks and social distancing.
Patio visits will be scheduled for residents in green zones on the following days:
- Monday – 3rd floor
- Tuesday – 5th floor
- Wednesday – 2nd floor
- Thursday – 4th floor
Visiting times are from 9:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. (concluding at 11:30 a.m.) and 2:30 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. (concluding at 4:35 p.m.)
Visits are limited to 20 minutes.
There are two time slots open on Saturdays and Sundays, 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Because these weekend time slots are very limited, we ask your understanding as we are providing this on a rotational basis and give priority to family members who have had limited opportunities to participate in our week day visits.
- Visitors will be screened upon arrival before entering the patio area and educated to wear a mask, complete hand hygiene upon arrival and departure and are required to maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet for the duration of the visit.
- Masks must be worn by residents and family/ friends during visits
- Social Distancing of 6 feet or more is to be maintained.
- During the visits, Jewish Home staff will assure the next resident is ready to enter the Patio area visiting area after prior visit.
- We are limiting visits to adults and children over 12 at this time.
- Tables and chairs in the visiting areas will be sanitized between visits by Jewish Home staff.
- No pets please
For more information, visit our website: https://jhep.org/patio-visits/
We can only accommodate visits that are scheduled by calling Lee Rutkowski at 570-344-6177 ext. 1175. Lee is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resident Council Meetings:
Residents’ council is a forum that provides our residents with the opportunity to express their concerns or grievances, contribute ideas and make recommendations regarding facility functions.
To increase participation, last year we changed our format for this meeting from one large group to individual meetings on each unit. This week, we were able to resume group activities with appropriate social distancing and hold resident council meetings.
The groups were pleased to get back together to discuss upcoming activities such as a new menu cycle, which will start in September, as well as discuss resident’s rights, COVID-19 education and the recently implemented We Care program for customer service.
Regarding suggestions for activities, bingo and exercise continue to be very popular.
Other suggestions/requests include:
- bringing back unit birthday parties (which had been on hold related to COVID restrictions);
- one unit would like to start a new type of reading/discussion group;
- and another group would like more beach ball hallway bowling competitions.
Our Life Enrichment team will be incorporating those requests into our calendars for upcoming weeks. Our Life Enrichment calendar of activities as well as our weekly menus are posted on our Facebook page and our website: https://jhep.org/events/
Thank you again for your ongoing support, and stay safe,
Mary Rose Applegate, MBA, RD, NHA